OVERVIEW: Hydro Group plc specialise in the design and manufacture of subsea and harsh environment optical tether and connection assemblies, optical connectors, penetrators, cable assemblies and terminations for the oil and gas industry.
Our Engineers design custom cables, tethers, connectors and penetrators suitable for the desired application. ROV tethers are a strategic component in the supporting performance of the cubicle, so the design & construction has to address, crucial factors such as small diameter, flexibility, ruggedness, buoyancy, depth & handling requirements.
The design criteria is important and familiar to Hydro Group design engineers. Hydro Group have extensive experience and can offer proof and qualification flex testing, pull testing and pressure testing of tether cables, and professional end terminations with various connector types.
Underwater vehicles are normally tethered by an umbilical that supplies electrical power and fibre optics to transfer data. The umbilical tether also provides the physical link for launch and recovery of the vehicle, as well as the tracking and maneuverability of the vehicle. The performance of the vehicle can be impaired by the cable drag and weight of the tether which in turn can snag or foul the tether on ocean structures. With careful design of the cable diameter to weight ratio's and thin wall insulated core conductors power does not require to be reduced and cable diameters compromised without negatively impacting on the overall performance of the underwater vehicle.
Hydro Group offer a range of different fibre optic (fiber optic) options including single mode, multimode, tight buffered, loose tube, steel tube, plastic tube and ruggedized.
Loose Tube Fibre Optic (Fiber Optic): Optical fibre enclosed within a plastic tube with or without gel and aramid fibre suitable for both horizontal and vertical cable applications, each tube can accommodate several fibres.
Tight Buffered Fibre Optic (Fiber Optic): Similar to loose tube with aramid fibre which provides a high strength, crush resistant component suitable for long vertical spans.
Metal Tube Fibre Optic (Fiber Optic): Stainless tube encased fibres which can be hermetically sealed, less flexible than plastic tubes it however gives greater physical protection and higher working depth pressures can be obtained.
Ruggedized Applications: The fibre optic is protected in an armour cable strength member, with an outer jacket of hytrel or polyurethane can be used for underwater sensors and sonars, video, telemetry, ROV controls in shallow and deep water, aerial camera tethers, thermistor cables, seismic, sonobuoys and range cables.
Hydro Group are pleased to offer optical products from our
extensive, high integrity range of connectors and penetrators.
Our in house engineered and developed optical technology is at the forefront of harsh environment requirements. Our products have been extensively tested both internally and externally and are field proven on major local, national and international projects.
Our optical Engineers and Technicians are fully trained and certified on our equipment by City & Guilds (optical fibre installation and testing singlemode fibre course).
• Optical and Electrical / Optical Hybrid connectors are designed and manufactured using our acclaimed HDM connector range
• Multimode 62.5/125 and 50/125 versions for use at 850 nm to 1300 nm available with typically £ 0.5 dB insertion loss per mated optical path
• Singlemode 8/125 versions for use at1310 nm to 1550 nm are available with typically £ 0.5 dB insertion loss per mated optical path and £ - 30 dB return loss. Use at wavelengths between 1285 nm and 1565 nm can also be accommodated on request
• Singlemode connectors are compatible with standard single mode fibre, Fatigue resistant fibre and non-zero dispersion shifted fibre
• Bulkhead and other fibre optical tails used are tested to ITU-T and IEC-793-1 and our single mode optical tails are manufactured as per G.652
• Panel mount and bulkhead mount connectors come with 1 metre optical tails terminated with ST connectors as standard and FC/PC and FC/APC on request
• Connectors are available in 5 different shell sizes with standard and reverse gender options available as standard
• Optical and electrical path combinations are available from 1 to 38 paths Termination options are standard optical, optical electrical, strain terminated to Kevlar or wire armour, oil filled and field installable
• All connectors use our in-house purpose designed self aligning optical ferrule and coupling technology.
FIBRE LINK DEEP FIELD PENETRATOR: can operate at 3000 MSW (310 Bar). The design and construction of the optical fibre penetrators can be limited due to the cable design and construction. The Hydro Fibre Link deep field penetrator is most suitable for sea bed ploughs, ROV, MUX systems and deep sea platforms.